PALS is Looking for Board Members!
Come make a difference within our community alongside a friendly, inclusive and diverse team. Gain professional experience and use your valuable skill sets to help advance governance, structures, and processes which will support PALS in its expansion and growth.
PALS is a not-for-profit organization serving adults who struggle with low literacy improve their reading, writing, speaking, basic math or computer skills. We deliver free non-credit and part-time adult foundational learning and literacy programs (reading, writing, speaking, basic math and computer skills) through one to one tutoring or small group work. All our tutors are volunteers. We believe that every person has the right to be functionally literate. Our vision is to create a community in which all adults are functionally literate so that they can meet their full potential.
Our mission is “Changing lives through literacy”.
We value diversity of skills and backgrounds on our Board. We welcome applications from individuals that reflect Edmonton’s diverse community.
We are looking for someone who has:
- a professional background in leadership, management, finance, accounting, law, HR, community engagement, or communications
- experience with non-profit Board governance and funding, or an interest to gain experience in this area
- the ability, motivation, and commitment to fulfil the varied responsibilities of the role
- the desire to be an inclusive team player able to work with a diverse group of people
- Commitment to a three-year term.
- A time commitment of approximately 10 hours a month. Board members are expected to attend one board meeting and one committee meeting each month and to prepare for each when necessary.
- A police record check.
How to Apply: