What is Literacy?
The Alberta Education report, Literacy First – A Plan for Action (2010), defines literacy as ‘…acquiring, creating, connecting and communicating meaning in a wide variety of contexts.”
- 1 in 3 adults in Edmonton struggle with reading and writing
- 1 in 2 adults struggle with basic math skills
People who struggle with these skills cannot do all the things they would like, but through PALS, our learners have been able to…
- Canada gets a “C” and ranks 8th out of 13 countries on the percentage of adults scoring low on adult literacy rate tests.
- Four out of ten Canadian adults have literacy skills too low to be fully competent in most jobs in our modern economy.
- Canadian adults with low literacy skills have fewer opportunities than young Canadians to upgrade their skills because they are outside the mainstream education system.